Season log

Re: Season log

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Darren wrote:
5 stand wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:5stand, you may have said this before, but where you hunt, do you typically see a lot of ducks and are able to break a few, or do you typically see a few and kill most of what you see?

I typically see a few and kill most of what I see...
I don't hunt the same place 2 days in a row, I carry River cane in the boat and make a makeshift blind every morning...
I hunt and then scout for the next day, sometimes that makes for a long day if the Ducks don't cooperate...

Big component in success right there...each hunt is a scouting trip, adjust accordingly the next day. Think next year if we are doing more on the public land area again, will be same for us.

Nice hunts, thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup:

Patent pending on my tactics, don't be using them... :lol:

I'm a one-man show, there's nothing social about what I do... Except for the bragging pictures on here...
You may think I'm crazy but I would trade six gray ducks for a morning just visiting with your son in a blind... I'm also a dog guy like Pennydog, I would enjoy scratching Harry behind the ear and telling him he's a good boy...

Around here we have hard Banks if that makes sense so running and gunning is fairly easy... I don't know how that'll work out in a Louisiana Marsh...
I work pretty hard at hiding, I use the dog blind to hide Trigger it keeps her confined to one spot and I put her behind me... Her retrieves are all kind of blinds if that makes sense... She has learned from her mother to watch where my barrel is pointing and she has a pretty good idea where to go, most of the time I just holler Trigger back and she handles it, if not we adjust accordingly...
Thanks for the reply...
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

Well I'm sure that last post could come across the wrong way, pretty sure I would have plenty to chat about with you and Johnny... :beer:
5 stand

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 pm

Haha I got a good laugh out of it. Sounds like you work hard and certainly deserve the birds you take.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:47 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Haha I got a good laugh out of it. Sounds like you work hard and certainly deserve the birds you take.

I hope everyone laughs at it, don't take it personal because my writing skills suck...
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:35 pm

They've been talking about snow around here but I didn't expect much, and it may turn out to be that way... It started snowing here around 2:00 pm big old flakes largest I've seen in a while... Still fairly warm but the temperature is dropping 32 here at the house now...
Didn't realize this front was going to reach down into Louisiana but I guess it is if Comeaux decoys are going to blow away... Hope they stick for you...
Hopefully it'll stir things up for you Rick... And you guys can get back on track and finish with a bang...(no lightning)...

IMG_20230124_151224893_HDR.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
5 stand

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:26 am

I'm afraid to see what my blind's cover will look like for my guys' last day here after last night's winds and rain, as this morning's wind direction brings finishing birds right over it. Crowd control, crowd control, crowd control...

But at least our tornado (that I didn't know was coming until Comeaux saw it on the tube and texted, good guy, he) broke up before getting to our little town.

The hunting? "We'll see..."
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:32 am

Rick wrote:I'm afraid to see what my blind's cover will look like for my guys' last day here after last night's winds and rain, as this morning's wind direction brings finishing birds right over it. Crowd control, crowd control, crowd control...

But at least our tornado (that I didn't know was coming until Comeaux saw it on the tube and texted, good guy, he) broke up before getting to our little town.

It'll be good or bad.
Shell-shocked hungry birds on the back end of a storm usually means good.
If not then fake it.
;)
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 am

Rick wrote:I'm afraid to see what my blind's cover will look like for my guys' last day here after last night's winds and rain, as this morning's wind direction brings finishing birds right over it. Crowd control, crowd control, crowd control...

Nothing like good friends !!!
5 stand

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:37 pm

Blessings, they.
Rick

Postby 5 stand » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:43 pm

The wind was strong and wrong yesterday so we didn't hunt.. So that means no scouting for today... I wanted six retrieves for Trigger if we could get them, so I was in Ducks is Ducks mode... It was misting rain so you couldn't identify early and I wasn't going to let any fly off so we started off with a pair...lol...
5 mallards
1 gadwall
1 goose

IMG_20230129_111747720_HDR~2.jpg
5 stand

Postby Pennydog1 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:53 pm

looks like trigger and moe got to have some pretty good hunts with you this season ,good job! :thumbsup: :clap:
Pennydog1

Postby 5 stand » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:03 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:looks like trigger and moe got to have some pretty good hunts with you this season ,good job! :thumbsup: :clap:

Thank you very much Pennydog I appreciate that... We didn't get to hunt as much as usual, I let work get in the way this year... I have no intentions of doing that again next year... It was for a friend and it was my choice so all is good...
5 stand

Postby Darren » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 am

Wow, really nice one
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:55 am

Don't know where you hunt, but I'm more than a little jealous of your mobility. Trigger's a lucky dog.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 am

Nice hunt, and what a great way to end the season :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am

Rick wrote:Don't know where you hunt, but I'm more than a little jealous of your mobility. Trigger's a lucky dog.
X2!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:17 am

Awesome hunt!
DComeaux

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:29 pm

I do appreciate all the kind comments thank you very much...
5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:39 pm

Rick wrote:Don't know where you hunt, but I'm more than a little jealous of your mobility. Trigger's a lucky dog.

The mobility keeps those internet scouters on their toes...
I like to think that Trigger and Moe have a pretty good life, they're my buddies... Probably not as good as the bug, it sure seems like he has a good one... Anyway, they go to work with me most days of the week...
This morning:
IMG_20230130_102426747_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Know that I've been described as "that electrician with them dogs"...
5 stand

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:08 pm

That's how it should be.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:07 am

I don't know why but they just refused to let me bring my dog to work in the kitchen of a cafeteria.
:lol:
Dog haters
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:23 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:I don't know why but they just refused to let me bring my dog to work in the kitchen of a cafeteria.
Dog haters

5 stand

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:29 pm

Season Totals:
2 - widgeons
2 - blue bills
42 - gadwalls
29 - mallards

75 total on 15 hunts...

I've kept records since 2010. Second worst, last year was 58 total...
5 stand

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:58 pm

Curious, and I may have missed it, but were teal numbers down in your area, or did you choose to shoot big ducks only?
Seems most folks shot a high percentage of teal this year, and were glad to have them. Considering you averaged 5 birds per hunt, those are some mighty fine numbers in my book :beer:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:43 pm

Deltaman wrote:Curious, and I may have missed it, but were teal numbers down in your area, or did you choose to shoot big ducks only?
Seems most folks shot a high percentage of teal this year, and were glad to have them. Considering you averaged 5 birds per hunt, those are some mighty fine numbers in my book :beer:

I had the opportunity to shoot at one group of Teal they landed in the decoys the second day of season... Gadwall hen followed them in, I was down to one bird, so when I stood up to shoot I just shot her... I usually kill three or four Teal a year... They don't frequent the water that I hunt...

Five bird average is very good, second highest... So that's a plus...(thank you for the compliment)
The places that I hunt have changed in the last few years, and I haven't been able to keep up with them... But I can guarantee you I'm trying to catch up, hopefully in a few years...
:beer:
5 stand

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:52 pm

5 stand wrote:
Deltaman wrote:Curious, and I may have missed it, but were teal numbers down in your area, or did you choose to shoot big ducks only?

I had the opportunity to shoot at one group of Teal they landed in the decoys the second day of season... Gadwall hen followed them in, I was down to one bird, so when I stood up to shoot I just shot her... I usually kill three or four Teal a year... They don't frequent the water that I hunt...

Five bird average is very good, second highest... So that's a plus...(thank you for the compliment)
The places that I hunt have changed in the last few years, and I haven't been able to keep up with them... But I can guarantee you I'm trying to catch up, hopefully in a few years...

Huwhat?
You'd rather eat a gadwall than a teal?
Teal and wood duck ....don't pass on them.
I'd rather have a strap of teal or woodies than geeenheads but that's just me.
Those two species top my list of what best about waterfowl.
I don't shoot many grays.
I did get a pair this fall.
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:
5 stand wrote:

Huwhat?

It seemed like a good idea at the time...
5 stand

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:54 pm

5 stand wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:
5 stand wrote:

Huwhat?

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Good answer!
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:49 pm

Trigger having fun last Fall...
5 stand

Postby PorkChop » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:38 pm

Looking forward to watching this tomorrow!
PorkChop

PreviousNext

Return to 5 stand 2022-2023