Chickens

Anything related to home improvement, home repair, homesteading, farm and garden.

Chickens

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 pm

I have a question. Never hatched out a bunch of birds before, always bought chicks. Got 24 eggs in the incubator, they've been in for 16 days, not "due" until this Saturday. I've kept the water full, but when checking it this morning, I noticed one egg had a crack on top, and another egg looked like it had tried to hatch, had a small crack and a hole pecked out on top, but nothing else. Anybody had this before? It's way too early for a hatch, but I'd hate to find that it got too hot and cooked them or something.
assateague

Re: Chickens

Postby Tomkat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:49 pm

maybe they are "early" ?

Dont know much about chickens other than how to bbq them
Tomkat

Postby flight control » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

It's been a while, but I remember they were fine in the incubator after they hatched, won't kill them or anything. Maybe give them a little help, but they come out when they're ready
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm

This seams right, I've had some hatch before they were supposed to. Sometimes it dpends on temps. Did you turn the eggs or do you have an automatic turner?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Abort! Oh wait I forgot who I was talking to.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 pm

rebelp74 wrote:This seams right, I've had some hatch before they were supposed to. Sometimes it dpends on temps. Did you turn the eggs or do you have an automatic turner?

Automatic turner. I've been told that you can hear them, though, and there's definitely not anything coming from these two. Don't know if I should let them stay, or toss them.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:This seams right, I've had some hatch before they were supposed to. Sometimes it dpends on temps. Did you turn the eggs or do you have an automatic turner?

Automatic turner. I've been told that you can hear them, though, and there's definitely not anything coming from these two. Don't know if I should let them stay, or toss them.

I usually hear them peeping. You can help them break out if they're not, I've noticed with early hatches sometimes they are weaker. This being said, check and see they could all be dead. I've had that happen several times.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

How will I know?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Open it up and break open an already cracked shell. A little bit, just enough to see if the bird is alive or not. If it is alive, give another day or 2 and check progression. If it ain't breaking itself out, do it for it. If it is dead, throw it out and give the rest a couple days or until the allotted time if nothing, throw em out and try again. If none make it, it usually means that temp was inconsistent or not right.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Ok. Hopefully it's right, since the incubator is all automatic, no independent temp controls. The only thing I can control is the humidity, by making sure the water's full.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm

No kidding, there isn't any temp control? Mine is automatic but it has a bolt with a wing nut on it that controls the temp. Tightening or loosening the wnig nut adjusts the temp on mine. Does it have a thermometer on it so you can see the temp? If so, what's it at and what kinda eggs(species) are in it? There are some different temps for different birds.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:45 pm

I don't know, it's not my incubator, I know my neighbor has hatched out probably 1,000 chickens with it, no problems. They're Plymouth Rocks, Rhode ISland Reds, and Americanas.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm

We raised quail when I was a kid. I remember watching them hatch and they didn't all come out at once and some didn't make it. We also had mass die-offs when they got stress about ANYTHING. The dog barking...anything.
Once we got established it was easy.
Never did chickens. Wish we would have.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:50 pm

assateague wrote:I don't know, it's not my incubator, I know my neighbor has hatched out probably 1,000 chickens with it, no problems. They're Plymouth Rocks, Rhode ISland Reds, and Americanas.

Well shit, ask your neighbor what he thinks. He'd know better than any of us if it's his incubator and has hatched that many with it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Something about raising your own food is so cool.
A 200-acre farm is in my future so please continue this thread.
Thanks.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:57 pm

aunt betty wrote:We raised quail when I was a kid. I remember watching them hatch and they didn't all come out at once and some didn't make it. We also had mass die-offs when they got stress about ANYTHING. The dog barking...anything.
Once we got established it was easy.
Never did chickens. Wish we would have.

Same thing with pheasants, guinea and most game birds. Also, pheasants can carry a disease, don't know the name of it, that can kill turkeys. Always had bad luck with having both in the same pen until I was told about it. Put a turkey up on the other side of my land and know more problems.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:34 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
assateague wrote:I don't know, it's not my incubator, I know my neighbor has hatched out probably 1,000 chickens with it, no problems. They're Plymouth Rocks, Rhode ISland Reds, and Americanas.

Well shit, ask your neighbor what he thinks. He'd know better than any of us if it's his incubator and has hatched that many with it.

He just came up. Said he'd never seen something like that before. There were two other eggs which had holes in the small side (which was down), and another which was cracked. I've kept the water full, so it wasn't a humidity issue, but he said even if it was empty, it wouldn't crack the eggs, would just make the chicks die before they could get out, because the eggs would be too hard. We cracked the ones which had holes open, and they had about a half-developed chick in them. Who knows. They're out of the turner now, and in cartons with a wet rag back in there. Hopefully we'll have at least 15 by the weekend. We candled the rest, and they are either all too solid or full of chick to see anything in them, just solid black.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

He just came up. Said he'd never seen something like that before. There were two other eggs which had holes in the small side (which was down), and another which was cracked. I've kept the water full, so it wasn't a humidity issue, but he said even if it was empty, it wouldn't crack the eggs, would just make the chicks die before they could get out, because the eggs would be too hard. We cracked the ones which had holes open, and they had about a half-developed chick in them. Who knows. They're out of the turner now, and in cartons with a wet rag back in there. Hopefully we'll have at least 15 by the weekend. We candled the rest, and they are either all too solid or full of chick to see anything in them, just solid black.

Sounds like a bad turn out. How long did the eggs sit before they went in the incubator? Do you collect daily?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm

They were pulled from under the hens about 5 hours before going in the incubator.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm lost. Don't know what would've caused it. Better luck next go round.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 pm

AT, it's about time you ask yourself if this was all worth it. At less then 2 clams a piece I hope the thought has osmosissed across your jello.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Didn't cost me anything. Eggs were free, and incubator is borrowed. Although it's definitely easier just to go get some damn chicks from the neighbor, but the wife brought these home.
assateague

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

assateague wrote:Didn't cost me anything. Eggs were free, and incubator is borrowed. Although it's definitely easier just to go get some damn chicks from the neighbor, but the wife brought these home.

Ahh the wife. Say no more.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby jehler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

assateague wrote:How will I know?
shaken the piss out of it and see if it peeps
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Mornin Beef » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:54 pm

jehler wrote:

HAHA it only ends up as your favorite snack from Korea to boot.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Goldfish » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm

jehler wrote:

Shake it and piss on it. Wakes it up, warms the egg and the ammonia in the urine softens the egg shell.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm

:lol: :lol: I see what you did there.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Did you make sure the gas line was hooked up on the incubator?!
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Forgot to choke the chicken, first.
assateague

Next

Return to Home Improvement and Farm & Garden